One of the greatest things about RVing? Being able to drive from one beautiful location to the next.
But sometimes these locations are hundreds or even thousands of miles apart, which can mean several hours behind the wheel.
If you’ve ever driven for a long stretch of time, you’ve no doubt felt a little drowsy at some point or another. And we all know drowsy-driving can be super dangerous — not only for you, but for others on the road as well.
Tips and Tricks for Staying Awake on Long Stretches of Highway
- Take a Pre-Drive Nap: If you’re starting your drive later in the afternoon, start it by taking a 20 minute nap. This will help you hit the road feeling fresh.
- Caffeine: No explanation needed!
- Music: Get your blood pumping with some great tunes!
- Listen to an Audiobook: Before your trip, download an audiobook to your phone and listen as you drive.
- Talk with Your Passengers: A good conversation can help keep your mind focused and alert.
- Be sure to have proper sun shading while you drive: This means having sunglasses on or your visor down. Squinting for long periods of time can cause eye fatigue which leads to overall drowsiness.
- Eat Some Healthy Snacks: You want to keep your blood sugar at a good level while you drive, and eating some healthy snacks can help. Crunchy fruits or veggies, like apples, carrots or celery, are a good way to go!
- Drink Water: Hitting a compromise here is your best bet — dehydration can lead to fatigue, but too much water also means more bathroom stops. Find that balance and enjoy the benefits!
- Stop to Exercise: If you’re feeling really tired, pull over and do some jumping jacks or go for a quick brisk walk. This will help get you some fresh air and your heart pumping to wake you up.
- Stop for a Mid-Drive Nap: If going for a long haul, like 4 hours or more, stop mid way through and take a 20 minute nap. Planning ahead and packing an extra comfortable RV mattress will make these naps the best part of your drive!
- Keep the Temperature Lower: Don’t get nice and cozy in the driver’s seat, as being too warm can make you sleepy.
- Sing Along with the Radio: Passengers might not enjoy karaoke, but belting out your favorite tunes will help you stay awake and energized!
Keep these tips and tricks in mind while on the road to that dream destination. They’ll help keep you awake and alert on the road, and get you to your destination safely!
Want a Free Pillow?
Enter your name and email below. We’ll send you a promo code to get a free pillow, when you order any MattressInsider mattress!