Whether you are traveling for work or pleasure, there is…
The great thing about RVing is being able to drive from one beautiful location to another.
The bad part is that sometimes these locations are hundreds or even thousands of miles apart.
This can mean several hours behind the wheel.
If you’ve ever driven for a long stretch of time, no doubt you felt a little drowsy at some point or another. Drowsy driving is very dangerous; not only for you, but for others on the road as well.
Here are 12 hacks to help you stay awake and alert while behind the wheel.
- Take a pre-drive nap. If you’re starting your drive later in the afternoon, start it by taking a 20 minute nap. This will help you hit the road feeling fresh.
- Caffeine. No explanation needed!
- Music. Get your blood pumping with some great tunes!
- Listen to an audio book. Before your trip, download an audio book to your phone and listen as you drive.
- Talk with your passengers. A good conversation can help keep your mind focused and alert.
- Be sure to have proper sun shading while you drive. This means having sun glasses on or your visor down. Squinting for long periods of time can cause eye fatigue which leads to overall drowsiness.
- Eat some healthy snacks. You want to keep your blood sugar at a good level while you drive and eating some healthy snacks can help. Crunchy fruits or veggies, like an apples, carrots or celery, are a good way to go.
- Drink water. There’s going to be some sort of compromise here – dehydration can lead to fatigue, but too much water means more bathroom stops. Be sure to drink enough water to stay hydrated.
- Stop to exercise. If you’re feeling really tired, pull over and do some jumping jacks or go for a quick brisk walk. This will help get you some fresh air and your heart pumping to wake you up.
- Stop for a mid-drive nap. If going for a long haul, 4 hours or more, stop mid way through and take a 20 minute nap. Be sure to check out our selection of all the most comfortable RV mattresses to make these naps the best part of your drive!
- Keep the temperature lower in the RV. Don’t get nice and cozy in the driver’s seat. Being too warm can make you sleepy.
- Sing along with the radio. The others in the car may not enjoy this too much, but belting out your favorite tunes will help you stay awake and energized.
Hopefully these tips can keep you awake and alert on the road and get you to your destination safely!