The Ultimate Guide
to Buying a Replacement RV Mattress
"ARRGHHHH!!! You have got to be kidding me!!"
That's probably what you said after calling several local mattress retailers who told you they don't carry rv mattress sizes.
Have no fear! There are several online retailers to choose from. This guide will equip you with the knowledge you need to shop for the perfect rv mattress.
(feel free to skip ahead if you already know something!)
Need help picking out an RV mattress?
Talk to a mattress expert! Call 888-488-1468
Determine Your RV Mattress Size
The first step to buying a replacement RV mattress is to figure out what size you need to order.
Most people will measure the mattress. You can do this if you're in a hurry.
However, the most accurate way to do it is to measure the dimensions of the surface the mattress rests on. Usually the mattress is placed on ply-wood or some type of similar surface.
There are two reasons why this is more accurate. The first being that your rv mattress may not be the same size as it was when the RV was built. This can be due to fluctuations in temperature during off-season storage (especially you folks in Arizona!) or from exposure to UV light if the RV was kept uncovered during storage.
In addition, RV mattresses are made by both humans and machines. If you take 10 out of stock, you will get a slight variation in size. If you measure the RV mattress instead of the surface it lies on, it may lead you to believe that you need a custom mattress size.
The most common RV mattresses are in the shape of a rectangle.
Here are the most common sizes:
- Three Quarter Size : 48" x 75"
- RV Full: 53" x 75"
- Short Queen : 60" x 75" (most common short queen size)
- Short Queen: 60" x 74"
- RV Queen : 60" x 80"
- Olympic Queen : 66" x 80"
- RV King: 72" x 75"
- RV King: 72" x 80"
- Cal King: 72" x 84"
- Eastern King: 76" x 80
- RV Bunk: 28" x 75"
- RV Bunk: 30" x 75"
- RV Bunk: 30" x 80"
- RV Bunk: 34" x 75"
- RV Bunk: 35" x 79"
- RV Twin : 38" x 75"
- RV Twin : 38" x 80
- RV Bunk: 42" x 80"
It's also possible that you might need one of the common "truck mattress" sizes if your replacing a mattress for a bunk in your RV.
The common truck mattress sizes are:
There are many other sizes available, but these are the most popular. Some of our products are offered in other sizes, such as family bed sizes.
Custom sizes include anything from odd rectangle sizes, to mattresses with cut or rounded corners (some airstream rv's for example). Don't worry though, custom sizes don't have to be expensive if you find the right custom rv mattress supplier.
Choose an RV Mattress Type Size
What follows is a description of the 4 most common types of RV mattresses to help you narrow down your selection.
This is the most common RV mattress type because of the price point. If you only use your RV a few months out of the year, this is probably your best option. Price ranges for these generally range between $150-$350.
Standard foam RV mattresses are approximately 5-6 inches in thickness. The most important thing to consider is the density of the foam. Foam densities range between 1-2 lbs per cubic foot. The 1.8-2 lb densities tend to be more durable. They also can withstand more body weight and they tend to have less manufacturer defects.
Foams in the 1-1.5 lb category tend to break down quicker and they can't withstand as much body weight over a long period of time. This density range also tends to develop ruts and depressions in the mattress leaving you feeling like you're stuck in a ditch.
Another thing to ask is if the foam is 100% Petroleum based. Some suppliers offer soy based rv mattresses that are more eco-friendly.
Click here to purchase a Foam RV Mattress
Looking for a custom foam mattress instead?
Mattresses can be made in almost any size or shape!
Talk with a Mattress Expert at: (888) 488-1468
This option is great if you live out of your RV or you just want a really comfortable replacement rv mattress. Price ranges for these a $399-$799.
Memory foam rv mattresses generally tend to be around 8". They are usually constructed with memory foam on top of a high density urethane base. Just like the foam rv mattresses, it's important to look at density. Memory foam rv mattress densities generally range between 2.5 - 5.3 lbs. We find the best density to be approximately 4 lbs. Any higher than this and the foam doesn't breath very well causing some people to sweat. On the opposite side of the scale, foam in the 2.5-3 lb category doesn't tend to be durable and it quickly looses it's elasticity.
Other things to consider: Some models come with removable zip off covers that are machine washable. Just like foam rv mattresses, memory foam rv mattresses can also be soy based or petroleum based.
Click here to Purchase a Memory Foam RV Mattress
Looking for a custom memory foam mattress instead?
We make almost any size or shape!
Talk with a Mattress Expert at: (888) 488-1468
Just like the memory foam rv mattress, the latex rv mattress is an excellent choice for those who spend a lot of time in their RV or who wish to have something very comfortable. It's also perfect if your looking for the most eco-friendly rv mattress available. They generally range in price between $599-$999.
Latex rv mattresses are usually constructed so that the top layer is latex and the bottom support layer is urethane foam. Unlike memory foam and urethane foam rv mattresses, latex rv mattresses don't measure using density. The most important thing to ask is if the latex being used is natural, synthetic, or a blend. Obviously, if you are going to pay the price for latex, you want to make sure it's natural. Synthetic latex and blended latex tends to break down and discolor when exposed to heat and UV light.
Natural latex is collected from rubber trees just like maple syrup comes from maple trees. It's naturally hypo-allergenic, dust-mite resistant, and anti-bacterial. If your someone who has latex allergies, for obvious reasons, we suggest not purchasing a latex rv mattress.
Click here to Purchase a Latex RV Mattress
Looking for a custom latex mattress instead?
We make almost any size or shape in latex!
Talk with a Mattress Expert at: (888) 488-1468
RV Air Mattress
This is another high end option for your RV. The prices range between $1100-2000.
RV Air mattresses use the same concept as your blow up mattress you pull out for your guests except it's taken to the extreme. The idea is that by using 2 air chambers, you can adjust the firmness of each side of your mattress. This is appealing for two people who have different comfort preferences. Layers of urethane, memory foam, or latex are put on top of the mattress and act as comfort layers.
Generally, we don't recommend purchasing an RV Air mattress for a few reasons. The biggest problem is with air leakage. There is nothing more irritating then setting your optimal air pressure only to wake up at 3am to a deflated or saggy mattress. We get calls all the time from people who have this issue. When you call the manufacturer for service, you discover that it's too costly and time consuming to have it repaired. Usually you're the one who gets to do the repairing. Generally the assembly (it usually arrives in 3 boxes full of parts) can be difficult, especially for those who are disabled or elderly. Recently there was a class action lawsuit between a major airbed manufacturer (who will remain nameless) and it's customers surrounding a problem with mold developing between the foam comfort layers and the air chambers. Supposedly, the manufacturer has developed a foam that is resistant to mold, but it's still in the infant stages.
The Most Important Things to Discuss with any RV Mattress Supplier (Before You Buy)
The Return Policy Scam
What happens if you don't like it? Can you return it?
Unfortunately...99% of rv mattress return policies are completely useless and I'll tell you why. Most RV mattresses come compressed and rolled in the factory so that they can be shipped via UPS/Fedex. This avoids the oversize charges.
The mattress arrives looking like a piece of rolled up carpet (about 1" in thickness) and it expands out to anywhere between 5-8 inches in thickness once it's opened. Once you unpack it, despite what any mattress salesman tells you, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get them back into that box.
To return it, you'll end up needing to buy a flat pack mattress box (approx $40 including shipping) and you'll need to use a freight carrier (as it's now too big to be shipped UPS or Fedex). Generally freight charges range between $300-$800 for a typical queen rv mattress. Upon discovering this, you'll find it's more cost effective to just keep the mattress.
Fortunately, MattressInsider.com has found a way to offer a 121 day money back guarantee and to get around this issue.
Within the first 30 days, if you don't like it, you can donate it to any non-for-profit (church, charity, etc), fax us a copy of the receipt, and you'll get a no questions asked 100% refund.
After the first 30 days, if you still decide you don't wish to keep it, we'll help you get a custom made mattress bag that will enable you to use an ordinary vacuum cleaner to recompress your mattress. This gives you the ability to ship via UPS/Fedex and avoid using a freight carrier.
Details about this policy can be found on the product pages.
Cost including shipping and handling.
Know what you're paying upfront. Often times RV mattress suppliers will quote a low price in the beginning, and after you register at checkout, they will hit you with a bill for shipping and handling, and tax.
Unfortunately, any retailer can lie about the density of their product and get away with it. The only way to determine the density of your mattress on your own is to cut out a cubic foot block and put it on a scale. As I'm sure you can guess, no one is going to destroy their mattress just to verify the density. There is an online retailer based in California that claims to sell a 5.3 lb density memory foam rv mattress. Upon careful inspection we discovered that the foam was actually only 2.5 lbs. Make sure you go for an RV mattress supplier you can trust. Ask lots of questions and do your best to make sure you get straight answers. We suggest typing the name of the supplier into Google with the word "complaint" after their company name. If you find lots of complaints about that retailer, obviously, you'll want to stay away from them.
Once you've decided your size and the type of mattress you wish to order, type in the keywords "replacement rv mattress" and start shopping! Feel free to give us a shot while your at it! We offer most of the common mattresses listed on here and we even do custom sizes and cut corner rv mattresses! We would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have or help you place an order. Thanks for reading!
Looking for an RV Mattress Topper? Consider our RV Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Note: This article is copyright protected.
Reproduction of any part of this article is strictly prohibited without expressed and written consent from Mattress Insider LLC.
We can make mattresses for the following make and model RVs.
Simply obtain the mattress size, and give us a call at 888-488-1468.
- Adventure Manufacturing – RPM , Timberlodge, Timberlodge Express
- Adventure Teardrop Trailers – Full Size, Half Size
- Airstream – Classic Limited, Flying Cloud, Design Within Reach, Interstate, International CCD Signature Series, International Ocean Breeze, PanAmerica , Sport
- American Coach by Fleetwood – Allegiance, Eagle, Heritage, Tradition
- American Sport Trailer Company – Genesis, Tribute
- Americana – GS, LC
- Beaver Motor Coaches Monaco RV– Contessa, Marquis, Monterey, Patriot Thunder
- Big Woody – Deluxe, Standard, Ultimate, U-Finish
- Bigfoot – 1500 Series, 2500 Series, 3000 Series, 4000 Series
- Born Free – 22, 22 Rear Door C/O, 24 Rear Bath, 27 Rear Bath, 27 Rear Side Bed, 28 Rear Side Bed, 32 Rear Queen, 32 Rear Twin, Guardian
- Burro Travel Trailers – 14′, 17′
- Camp-Inn Teardrop Trailers – 500, 550, 560
- Carriage Inc. – Cameo, Carri-Lite, Domani, Royals
- Carson Trailer, Inc – models (toy haulers): Carrera Lite, Fun-Runner, Titan, Carson Rebel
- Casita – 13′, 16′, 17′
- Chalet RV – model: Oregon Camper, Takena
- Cikira RV – Classic Cruiser, Classic Cruiser LE, Classic Cruiser SLE, Escape EXP
- Clarion Coach
- Coachhouse – Platinum 221XL, 230, 232XL, 261XL, 272XL, Platinum II 241XL
- Coachmen RVs – Chaparral, Chaparral Lite, Wyoming, Concord, Freelander, Leprechaun, Prism
- Coachmen RVs : - Blast , Capri Micro, Captiva Ultra Lite, Impact , Shasta, Spirit of America SE, Surge , Avant-Garde, Avante-Garde Front Diesel, Mirada, Sportscoach
- Columbia Northwest, Inc. – Amelia, Meriwether, Marco
- Conquest Motorhomes by Gulf Stream – B Touring Cruiser, B Touring Cruiser GX-2, B Touring MB, Conquest C, Endura, Super Nova, Ultra C, Vista Cruiser Mini, Yellowstone C, Yellowstone Cruiser, Yellowstone Cruiser GX-2, Yellowstone Cruiser MB, Gladiator
- Country Coach - Affinity, Allure, Inspire, Intrigue, Magna, Prevost Conversion, Rhapsody, Tribute
- Cozy Cruiser – Classic, Classic Deluxe
- Crossroads – 5th wheel CrossForce , CrossTerrain , Cruiser, Kingston, Seville, Zinger, Sunset Trail, Sunset Trail SLS
- Cruiser RV LLC. – Funfinder X, FunfinderXtra , ViewFinder
- Damon RV – Avanti, Astoria, Challenger, Essence, Daybreak, Daybreak Sport, Outlaw, Tuscany
- Desertteardrops.com - Build your own
- DRV: Elite Suites, Mobile Suites, Select Suites
- Dutchmen – Adirondack, Aerolite, Cub (expandable), Colorado, Denali, Dutchmen, Eco, Four Winds, Kodiak, Kodiak Expandable, Ntense , North Shore, T@da, Tundra, Victory Lane , Wild Thing , Winners Circle , Zoom, Grand Junction, Monte Vista,
- Dynamax – Dyna Aire, DynaQuest ST, DynaQuest XI, Dyna Sport UTV, Grand Sport DT, Grand Sport Ultra, Isata E-Series Touring Sedan, Isata F-Series Touring Sedan,
- EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicle (XV) Class C & Truck
- Eclipse Recreational Vehicles Inc. – Attitude, Stellar, Milan
- EnduraMax LLC – toy hauler model: Matrix, Wide Open, Gladiator Ford E-450, Gladiator Internation 4200 Truck Series
- Entegra Coach – Alanté, Emblem, Aspire, Anthem, Cornerstone
- Excel Fifth Wheels – Classic, Limited, RT, Wild Cargo
- Extreme RVs – Companion, Extreme , MegaLite , Monterrey, Road Ranger, Sportmaster
- Featherlite Luxury Coaches – Vantare H3-45, Vantare XLII
- Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc. – Backpack, Compass, Gearbox , Mallard, Mallard Sport, Nitrous Hyperlite , Orbit, Orbit Sport, Pegasus, Pegasus Sport, Pioneer, Pioneer Spirit, Prowler, Redline Hyperlight , Terry, Wilderness, Formula, Quantum,
- Fleetwood RV - Bounder Diesel, Discovery, Excursion, Expedition, Providence, Revolution LE, Icon, Jamboree, Jamboree GT, Jamboree Sport, Pulse, Tioga, Tioga Ranger, Tioga SL, Bounder Classic, Encounter, Fiesta Premium, Pace Arrow, Southwind, Terra Premium
- Forest River – Berkshire, Charleston, Georgetown, Cardinal, Cedar Creek, Cherokee, Cherokee Wolf Pack , Flagstaff, Rockwood, Rockwood Roo (expandable), Sandpiper, Salem, Salem Sport , Sandstorm , Sierra, Shamrock (expandable), Shockwave , Surveyor, Surveyor (expandable), V-Cross, XLR , Wildcat, Wildwood, Wildwood Sport , Work & Play (cargo carrier) Note: XLR is evolved from “All American Sport” model
- Foretravel – Nimbus, Phenix
- Four Wheel Campers – Eagle, Falcon, Finch, Grandby, Hawk, Keystone, Ranger
- Four Winds – Chateau, Chateau Kodiak, Chateau Citation Sprinter, Citation, Dutchmen, Dutchman Kodiak, Dutchman Dorado Sprinter, Dorado, Four Winds, Four Winds Kodiak, Four Winds Siesta Sprinter, Fun Mover , Siesta, Ventura, Hurricane, Serrano, Windsport
- Frontier RV – model: Aspen, Hyperlite, Explorer, Trax , Tazor
- General Coach (British Columbia) – Citation, Corsair
- General Coach (Ontario) – Citation/Chateau, Phantom, Cosair
- Georgie Boy Mfg., Inc. – Cruise Master, Pursuit
- Glendale RV – model: Titanium Tour Edition, Titanium Pearl
- Great West Vans – Classic, Sprinter Legend, Titan Wide Body
- GTRV-USA – “Home of the Westy”
- Gulf Stream – Amer-lite, Canyon Trail, Conquest, Emerald Bay, Firefly, G-Force , Gulf Breeze, Innsbruck, Kingsport, Mako, StreamLite, Track & Trail , Mako Mid-Profile, Prairie Schooner, Yellowstone, Caribbean, Independence, Sun Sport, Tourmaster
- Hallmark Campers – Cuchara XL, Guanella LS & LX, Milner LX, Milner MX, Ute XS &XL, 96DB, 106UDB, 116ULT, 117DBL, 811SL
- Heartland – model: Cyclone , North Country, North Trail, Razor , Sundance XLT, Big Country, Bighorn, Landmark,
- Hi-Lo – TowLite: 1508T, 1708T, 1908T, 2208T, 2408T, 2708T and Classic: 2308C, 2508C, 2808C
- Hoffman Coach Company
- Holiday Rambler – Alumascape, Alumascape Suite, Next Level , Presidential Suite, Savoy LX, Savoy LE, Atlantis, Augusta B+, Augusta Sport, Augusta Touring Sedan, Traveler, Campmaster, Black Diamond , Mintara, Presidential, Savoy LE, Savoy LX, Admiral, Ambassador, Arista, Endeavor, Imperial, Navigator, Neptune, Scepter, Vacationer
- Hunter Outdoor Products – Shadow HU-1 Classic, HU-3 Long Shadow, HU-4 FAT Shadow
- Hy-Line – model: Pine Creek
- International VentureCraft Corp
- Itasca – Cambria, Impulse, Navion, Navion iQ, Spirit, Ellipse, Meridian, Meridian V Class, Reyo, Suncruiser, Sunova, Sunstar
- Jayco – Designer, Eagle, Eagle Super Lite, Recon ZX , Jay Feather EXP, Jay Feather Ex-Port, Jay Feather Sport, Jay Flight, Jay Flight G2, Octane ZX , Embark, Greyhawk, Greyhawk Sport, Melbourne, Seneca HD, Seneca ZX
- K-Z Recreational Vehicles – Coyote, Coyote Rock Climber , Coyote Lite, Durango, MXT , Spree, Sportsmen, Sportsmen Sportster
- Keystone RVs – Big Sky, Challenger, Copper Canyon, Cougar, Everest, Fuzion , Hornet, Laredo, Montana, Mountaineer, Raptor (incl. toy hauler models), Springdale, Springdale Springloaded , Sydney, Xlite, Keystone RVs – Bullet, Cougar SRX , Energy, Hideout, Kangaroo , Outback, Passport, Passport Breakaway , Sprinter, Summerland, VR1
- Komfort – Komfort, Komfort Lite, Ridgecrest, Trailblazer
- KZ Recreational Vehicles (KZ RV) – Durango, Durango LX, Escalade, Escalade Sportster, Inferno , Montego Bay, New Vision Sportster , Sportsmen, Sportsmen Sportster , Spree
- Lance Trailers
- Lazy Daze (factory direct)
- Leisure Travel Vans – Free Flight, Freedom II Libero, Freedom II Serenity, Free Spirit
- Liberty Coach – Elegant Lady, Liberty Lady Classic
- Little Guy Teardrop Camper/Trailer – Lite Series (Rascal, Travel Mate), 4-Series, 5-Series, 6-Series, Little Guy RT, 6-Wide Sport-Camo Edition
- Marathon Coach
- Marathon Homes
- McKenzie RV – Dune Seeker , Ion, Starlite, Starwood, Medallion Estate, Cascade, Lakota, Lakota Estate,
- Millennium Luxury Coaches
- Monaco Coach Corporation - Covina, Montclair B+, Montclair Sport, Montclair Touring Sedan
- Monaco Monaco RV,LLC – Camelot, Cayman, Diplomat, Dynasty, Executive, Knight, LaPalma, Monarch, Riptide, Signature Series
- New Horizons – (factory direct) Classic, Summit, Motomover , 5 Star Series
- Newell Coach Corporation
- Newmar Corp – Bay Star, Canyon Star, Dutch Aire, Dutch Star, Essex, King Aire, Mountain Aire, Ventana, Cypress, Torrey Pine, Kountry Aire, X-Aire
- Northern Lite - Classic, Lite, Special Edition, Ten 2000 Series
- Northwood Manufacturing – Arctic Fox, Desert Fox , Nash
- NuWa Industries – Hitchhiker II LS, Hitchhiker Champagne, Hitchhiker Discover America
- Okanagan – model: Eclipse
- Outfitter Mfg.
- Palomino –
- Palomino – Bronco, Maverick, Winter Creek, Gazelle, Puma, Puma , Palomino Stampede, Sabre, Thoroughbred
- Parliament Coach
- Play-Mor Trailers, Inc. - Motorsport, Motorsport Deluxe FW, Racer, Sport LX, Sport-Maxx
- Powerhouse Coach
- Precision Coach Inc.
- R-Vision – Boogie Box , Dodge RV’s (incl. toy hauler), Max-Lite, Max Sport, Super Sport, Trail-Bay, Trail-Bay V-Series, Trail-Cruiser, Trail-Lite Crossover, Trail Sport, Trail-Lite B-Plus, T&C Sport, T&C Touring Sedan
- Recreation by Design
- Rexhall Industries – Aerbus, RexAir
- Roadmaster – model: Round Top Predator , Predator
- Roadtrek – 170-Pupular, 190-Popular, 190-Versatile, 210-Popular, 210-Versatile, RS-Adventurous, SS-Agile
- RV2 (RV Squared, Inc.)
- S & S Campers Mfg Inc – model: Ponderosa
- Safari Motorcoach – Damara B+, Ivory, Damara Sport, Damara Sport, Cascade, Cheetah, Passage, Simba
- Scamp – 13′, 16′, 19'
- Silver Shadow Teardrop Camper Trailers – Highline, Silver Shadow, White Shadow
- Six-Pac Campers – Delux 650, Delux 850, Standard 650, Standard 850, T100-S, Utility Models
- Skyline RVs – Aljo, Aljo Joey, Aljo Ultra Light, Aljo Freestyle , Layton, Layton Joey, Layton Ultra Lite, Layton Freestyle , Nomad, Nomad Joey, Nomad Ultra Lite, Nomad Freestyle (toyhauler), Weekender, Weekender Joey, Weekender Ramp
- So-Cal Teardrops – Cal-Deluxe, Original, Rover, Sierra, also various kits available
- Space Craft Mfg. – Custom Built
- Sportscoach by Coachmen – Cross Country, Pathfinder
- Starcraft - Homestead, Lexion, Hardside, Softside, Autumn Ridge, Rock Star , Star Stream, Thrill Seeker (expandable), Thrill Seeker , Travel Star Expandable, Travel Star Sport Expandable, Travel Star XLT, Travel Star Sport XLT, Villa
- Sun Valley – Apache, Sun-Lite
- Sun Valley – Rattler , Roadrunner, Roadrunner 7.5, X-Treme 7.5, X-Treme 8.0
- SunnyBrook - Big Dog , Bristol Bay, Brookside, SB Series, Titan SURV , West Pointe
- T@B (from Dutchmen Manufacturing)
- Teardrop Fix-It-Shop – Kenskill Teardrop Trailer replicas
- Terra Wind (amphibious)
- Teton Homes – Experience, Prestige, Royal
- Texas Custom Coach by Coachworks, L.L.C.
- Thompson Coach
- Thor California – Jazz, Summit, Tahoe , Vortex , Wave, Sonoma, Summit
- Tiffin Motorhomes – Allegro, Allegro Bay, Allegro Bus, Phaeton, Zephyr
- Tiger Motorhomes
- TrailManor Travel Trailers – folding hardwall trailers and one “upright” model
- Triple E RVs – model: Regency, Topaz, Embassy, Empress Elite, Commander, Invitation, Signature
- Viking RV – Grand Haven, V-Trec
- Wee kender – Base, Base Plus, Special Edition
- Winnebago – Access, Aspect, Outlook, View, Era, Adventurer, Journey, Journey Express, Sightseer, Tour, Via, Vista