Production & Shipping FAQ
Updated August 2, 2021
How long will it take for me to get my mattress?
If you’re ordering a mattress from our “Get It Sooner” program, those arrive as soon as 3-5 weeks (depends on the model). All other models are leaving the plant in about 10-12 weeks.
This is thanks to:
- supply chain challenges (ex: Covid, Suez Canal, etc)
- crazy weather in Louisiana and Texas causing foam plant shutdowns
- A surge in demand (our sales are 3x what they normally are)
3-4 weeks before it ships?? You gotta be f*cking kidding me?!
Supply chain issues are so bad, our biggest competitor isn’t even taking orders right now and they’ve shut off their phones and email. Yah…. thanks Covid. (I hate you….#getthevaccine). Like I said, if you need something faster, check out our “Get It Sooner” program.
Why are things taking so long?
- Demand for mattresses are at an all time high
In 18 years, I’ve never seen anything like this. Our sales numbers have tripled since about 2 months into COVID. We’re wondering if people might be hoarding mattresses like toilet paper.
- There is a global shortage of foam
Not just some foam….99% of foam. Including but not limited to: polyurethane foam, memory foam, gel, and blended latex. You can’t even get acoustic foam right now (for you musicians out there wanting a “sound proof mattress”…that’s not a real thing…it should be though…maybe I’ll invent one).
What are we doing about it?
1) We have the “Get It Sooner” mattresses which use components we have readily available.
2) This shortage has crippled the supply chain of the mattress and furniture industry. Over the past few weeks, I and the rest of the manufacturing team have contacted every foam supplier in the US, Canada, and Mexico. They’re all having the same supply chain issues.
Finding foam is like trying to find Waldo… of course assuming Waldo also relieves your pressure points and cradles around the shape of your body.
In fact, we did the math, and the chances of getting foam delivered in a reasonable amount of time right now are about as good as Betty White dying. #GoBettyGo #BettysARockstar
We usually get around 5 trucks of foam per week. The foam manufacturers, who are all on force majeure, have all mattress manufacturers at 50%. That means we’re lucky if we get 2 trucks of foam per week.
3) We’re also trying to find ways to reinvent the mattress. That includes using components that aren’t traditionally used in mattresses. Like raccoon tails. (Ok, not really…I just wanted to make sure you were still paying attention.)
We really are looking at other non traditional components though. But it takes time.
Designs have to be independently tested to make sure they’re durable and provide the same or better pressure point relief obtained through the use of foam.
I do wonder though what a mattress cover filled full of raccoon tails would feel like. Yes, of course they’re still attached to the live raccoons. (Again, just making sure you’re still paying attention.)
When will things get better?
Another good question.
Our foam suppliers have told us lead times should start to get back to normal in the next 30 days.
Should I place my order now or wait?
Supply and demand is in full swing right now.
We’re being told our foam prices will be going up by as much as 30% in the coming weeks. If you need a mattress, the best time to order is right now. Yes, it sucks having to wait 3-4 weeks before your order will ship, but there’s going to be a great pay off. You’re going to get the best night of sleep of your life!
If you have any questions, members of our friendly sales and customer service team (based in Colorado – USA based team, and USA made Components) are standing by to help you.
Questions? Give us a call at 888-488-1468.
Founder & CEO of MattressInsider.com
PS: Don’t hate me for that Betty White joke.