Love to tent camp, but need a CPAP? Don’t let your machine keep you from enjoying the outdoors!
Here are six crazy-simple options for tent camping safely and comfortably when you need to use a CPAP machine:
- Stay at a Campsite With Electricity — Lots of sites offer electricity, and then all you need to worry about is bringing an extension cord.
- Bring a Generator — This tip will only work at a remote site, as generators tend to be loud and so are usually not welcome at night in campgrounds.
- Plug into Your Car Battery — This has pros and cons! If you choose this method, you’ll have to run your car all night or risk depleting your battery.
- Purchase a CPAP Battery Kit — Available from Amazon and many other websites, they’re typically priced from $279 upwards and can run for ~30 hours before needing a recharge. You just have to make sure the kit is compatible with your machine. (Many of them are also approved for use when flying internationally.)
- Rent a CPAP Battery Kit — If buying is a bit out of budget, there are also options to rent.
- Get Creative and DIY — Buy a deep cycle marine battery at an auto shop or Amazon. Then purchase the correct DC cable for your machine, as well as an adapter with alligator clips that fits over the cigarette lighter plug.
Other Things to Keep In Mind
On all of the battery options, it’s recommended that you don’t use the heated humidifier on your CPAP, because it really sucks the power and reduces the battery life. Instead, keep water in it but without turning the heat on — turning your CPAP into a passive humidifier.
If your CPAP doesn’t have a DC outlet, it will require an inverter. Be aware that inverters also shorten the battery life.
If you are planning on an extended camping trip, you’ll want to make sure you’re able to recharge the battery, which can be done using your vehicle.
Rest Well With Your CPAP and a Comfy Camping Mattress
With your CPAP machine taken care of, are you contemplating the comfiest way to sleep? You may want to learn more about getting an affordable and cushy mattress to sleep on while camping, which Mattress Insider can also help with.
Need assistance? We’d love to help!
Call us at 888-488-1468!
Want a Free Pillow?
Enter your name and email below. We’ll send you a promo code to get a free pillow, when you order any MattressInsider mattress!